Recently the Leapfrog Group has published unfavorable information about our Hospital.To set the record straight, we offer the following information:
Everyone at JCH works hard on patient safety every day. We work continuously on medication safety, patient falls, and infection control.We elected not to participate with the Leap Frog 2012 survey because historically the data has been shown to be inaccurate and out of date. Instead, efforts were focused on making things better in lots of differing ways.
- JCH has had computerized inpatient records since 1995. ER records were computerized during 2012. We were one of the first Hospitals in the country to be recognized by CMS under HITECH act for “meaningful use” of electronic health records (EHR).
- Computerized Physician Order Entry has been in place since October of 2009; online, real-time links with area physician groups are up and functioning well for the transmission of test results, dictation, and images.
- Digital images are made available to staff physicians anywhere there is a secure internet connection by virtue of the 2010 installation of the JCH PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System).
- In the last 12 months, JCH has added the Omnicell automated medication system and smart IV pumps with an onboard medical library to minimize medication errors and increase patient safety.
- In December 2012, the CPSI MED VERIFY will be activated, allowing nurses and pharmacists to use bar codes to get the right patient the right medication at the right time.
- JCH is an active participant with the Illinois Hospital Association’s Hospital Engagement Network (HEN,) whose primary goals are the reduction of readmissions by 20% and the reduction of avoidable patient harm by 40%.
- JCH also participates with The Joint Commission (TJC,) a national accrediting body that reviews patient records for quality patient care at least every three years.
- JCH voluntarily participates with the National Healthcare Safety Network (HNSN,) which monitors and educates in the areas of urinary, blood and post-op infections.
- JCH also is a member of the St. Louis University Hospital’s Stroke Network, dedicated to the rapid recognition and early intervention through coordination, education, and adherence to protocols. We are also mobilizing for application to the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care for accreditation as a Chest Pain Center in 2013.